Throughout the year, RIPA hosts over 200 free public events including tours, movie nights, waterfront activities, our annual Cherry Blossom and Harvest Festivals and more. These family-friendly drop-in events play an integral role in helping Park visitors explore the Island’s varied points of interest. We strive to host inclusive, accessible events that enable all individuals to engage fully.
For inquiries about accessibility, to request an accommodation or for event information please email [email protected].
- This event has passed.
Advanced Fishing Clinic
June 14, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
One event on July 13, 2019 at 6:00 pm
One event on September 28, 2019 at 9:00 am
Join Randall’s Island Park Alliance at our first-ever Advanced Fishing Clinics. These clinics are designed for anglers who already have a basic knowledge and understanding of fishing techniques and set-ups but would like to learn more “advanced” skills (e.g., tying knots, making rigs, understanding fish behavior). Join your fellow anglers, event leaders, and an ichthyologist (fish expert) for a fun and informative evening to help you be more effective when fishing out on the water. Pre-registration required, as space is limited.
- Bait, tackle and rig setups for successful fishing in NYC waters
- How to read currents, tides, and shorelines to target specific fish species
- How to tie species-specific fishing rigs
- Fish biology and behavior
- Opportunity to learn about and try out baitcasting and spinning reels
- New ways to systematically record your catch to help improve NYC’s fisheries!
Location: Hell Gate Picnic Area